Application FAQs
I'm a freshman, but I feel I have enough knowledge/experience.  Can I apply?
Our program is designed for students who have completed their sophomore or junior years.  You are welcome to apply, but we must give preference to students entering their third or fourth year.

What if I'm a senior and will graduate before the program starts?
Sorry, graduated seniors are no longer eligible.

The professor writing a letter of recommendation for me is out of the country and won't be back until after the deadline.  What should I do?
Please ask the professor to complete the letter and submit online as close to the deadline as possible.

My school does not let out until after the start date of your program.  Can I still apply?
The start and end dates to our program are somewhat flexible (within reason).  Feel free to apply, making a note of your availability in the personal statement.

When can I expect to hear from you?
We begin to send out notifications a few weeks after the application deadline.  Your patience is appreciated.

Program FAQs
When do I get reimbursed for my travel expenses?
At the end of the REU program, the REU coordinator will begin processing your travel reimbursements.

What if I want to drive to Ann Arbor, can I get a parking pass?
We strongly do not recommend driving from your home location yourself (being dropped off is ok) because parking in Ann Arbor is notoriously difficult and costly (parking tickets are the norm). On-campus parking permits for visiting students are not available. If driving yourself is the only option, you can try to purchase a monthly parking permit to park in downtown Ann Arbor, you can consult Craigslist for storage and parking in Ann Arbor; or you can take your chances and park in the residential areas around the dorm.

How do I get access to UM WiFi?
Guests should be able to connect to the MGuest Wireless Network using your UM uniqname and Kerberos password.  Use a web browser to enter your email at the welcome page to gain access.  Click here for more information.

What if I'm not feeling well?  Is there a doctor or clinic I can visit?
As a visiting student here at UM, you can visit UHS (University Health Services) should you need to see a medical doctor (it is assumed that you have insurance coverage through your parents -- you may be asked to provide proof of insurance).

If your question was not answered on this page, feel free to call 734.763.6722 or email us at